Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dinner Date

In all my wisdom, I decided to have a dinner at my house, my boyfriend wanted to have dinner with my grandmother and myself, and decided that he also wanted to taste my cooking.  WONDERFUL!  I set out to make my Crawfish Jambalaya, peach/blueberry cobbler, and a nice tossed salad.  I thought, oh this will be a nice quaint meal at home. 

Little did I know, that my grandmother wanted me to clean the house until it shined like the top of the Chrysler Building (if you know what movie that's from, we're now best friends).  It took me two days to clean my already spotless home.  If it stood still for longer than two seconds, it was vacuumed, I think I vacuumed the dog once or twice.  I EVEN CLEANED THE CLOSETS!  WHY?????  I have decided that the next time we invite someone over, it will be easier to just MOVE! 

When preparing the meal, my grandmother could/would not leave me alone in the kitchen for two seconds.  She was so worried that he would not like the food, or that the house was not clean enough.  She kept saying "Son, he's from the upper crust."  JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST, I am dating the man, not trying to get a loan from him.  I told her, Maw Maw, I'm not keeping up with the Jones' but OH NO!   So after I dusted and made the beds, and  WASHED THE CARS!!!!!!  Mowed the lawn, trimmed the hedges, I took a two hour power nap.  I was awakened by my grandmother reminding me once again that we were having a distinguished guest for dinner!

 When he finally arrived, it was such a load off my mind, b/c if I had cleaned any more, or vacuumed any more, we would have had no counter tops or carpet left! I felt like Hyachent from "Keeping Up Appearances" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping_Up_Appearances

My lovely grandmother has gone into shock mode of culture shock.  AHHHHH!!!!    Someone save me!

No comments:

Post a Comment